Welcome back - Spring term 1!
I hope that everyone had a lovely Christmas break and are well rested and ready to get back into our learning.
We have an exciting half term coming up with our unit of work taking the topic of 'Oceans and Seas'.
In English, we will be reading the book 'Flotsam' by David Weisner. This is a stunning, wordless picture book that follows the story of a little boy and his unusual day at the beach. We will be creating descriptions of the artwork as well as a set of instructions. Following this, we will be doing some learning linked to Steve Backshall and his 'Deadly 60'! Make sure you brush up and watch a few episodes on CBBC!
Our Maths lessons will focus on revisiting and extending our place value knowledge, as well as learning some new skills and strategies to help us to solve addition and subtraction problems. The final two weeks of term will be learning about multiplication and division, focusing on the embedding of times tables.
Phonics and spelling lessons will be taking an exciting change. From the second week of the term, we will be setting with India and Australia classes. We will be splitting into 5 groups and will be working in 5 different locations with 1 of 5 different adults. This will help us in the run up to our Year 2 SATs and the retakes of the Phonics Decoding Check.
Science - Plants and their life cycles
History - History of the seaside
Art - Seascapes - Watercolours and Pointillism
Design Technology - Recyclable Boat
PSHE - School Values and current affairs
Religious Education - People Jesus Met
School Trip - TBC
I am looking forward to another exciting term! Don't forget to keep checking in with Class Dojo and the parent and student accounts online!
Other Important Information:
- PE will now be on WEDNESDAYs and FRIDAYs. Wednesdays will be taught by a PE coach and will be outside. Fridays will be taught by Miss Cooper and will be indoors. Please make sure that you have a full and suitable kit in school, including long trousers and trainers for when we are outside. Earrings will need to be removed on these days.
- Phonics club will start Monday 15th January and is open to anyone who did not reach the pass mark on the Year 1 decoding check and will therefore be retaking in June. Please let Miss Cooper know if you would like to attend and she will give you further details.
- Please begin to practise 2,5,10 times tables at home as well as spellings of our common exception words. These will be being tested on as they are a national curriculum requirement. Ask Miss Cooper if you would like resoures to practise these at home.
- Homework will continue to be set on Fridays and will be due the following Friday. Rewards will be awarded this half term for consistent submitting of well done homework.
- The school will be starting a new reward system this half term which will allow children to collect ticks and reward cards which once collected, will be able to be 'spent' or 'saved' towards treats. More information to follow on this.
- Miss Cooper will be out of class Wednesday mornings for PPA time. Mrs Granshaw will be working with Miss Mannerings and Mrs Beddoe to cover the class for this time.
- Every tuesday we will be visiting the library, please ensure your child looks after their library books and brings them back to change every week.
Are you ready for Autumn Term 2?
Well done to everybody for the hard work in your first half term as Year 2's! We are very proud how you have transitioned and are managing the higher standard of work we are throwing at you!
We hope you are ready for a fun-packed seven and half weeks in the run up to Christmas!
This half term we will be looking at the book ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped a Planet’ by Dougie Poynter and Tom Fletcher. We will be using this text to inspire expanded noun-phrases, using commas in lists and asking questions. We will also be writing a recount of our trip to Winchester Science Museum and Tim Peakes arrival at the international space station. 3…2….1…. Lift off!
We are revisiting our learning about shape, and extending our knowledge to new objectives linked to symmetry. This feeds nicely into fractions where we will be revisiting halves and quarters as well as starting to explore thirds. Following this, we will be rethinking our previous skills on division and multiplication. There will also be continuous learning about time! So get practising!
This half term we will be learning about a famous nurse called Florence Nightingale and the era she lived in. We will be finding out how her views and strict rules has impacted on hospitals today and how important she was for the soldiers of the Crimean war.
We will be learning about animals including humans. In particular changing as we grow and the things we need to keep us healthy!
We will be doing some healthy recipe cooking and learning about food groups.
This half term our art will focus on linking to our space learning. We will be using chalks to design our own planets before getting messy and making them using papermache.
Of course we will be doing some festive art towards the end of the term ready for Christmas.
Our PE sessions this half term will be on Monday and Thursday. We are going to be continuing with gymnastics and focusing particularly on sequencing movements.
Please note PE day is now only Monday and Thursday. All children will need to have a labelled PE kit in school including trainers or plimsolls.
Please ensure your children has their reading book and diary every day.
Friday is the day when homework is set and due in a week later.
Tuesday 28th Nov – Trip to Winchester Science Centre
Thursday 4th Dec – Year 1 & 2 Nativity
Fundraising for Trip:
Friday 10th Nov- Film Night £2 a ticket
Friday 17th Nov – Fancy Dress Day £1
Wednesday 22nd Nov – Cake Sale (bring in cake donations!)
Welcome back! We hope you all enjoyed your summer break and are ready to start year 2. India class has a wonderful brand new classroom that we can't wait to show you and soon our very own outside area.
It is an exciting time as you are moving up to Year 2 in a brand new class with a different teacher.
We have a new behaviour chart where you can work your way up to silver and gold in order to earn a 'Golden Day' for exceptional work and amazing choices.
We also have our new class points system - Class Dojo. Keep earning the points, by showing the school values and making good choices, to earn the rewards! You can even show your parents your achievements at home! We will also be posting a story each week to tell your parents what we have been up to.
We are beginning Autumn term by learning about Journey's.
In English we will be reading two new stories about Journey's, 'Journey' and 'Beegu'. We will be exploring different types of writing and learning some new writing strategies in the Year 2 curriculum as well as getting ourselves ready for SATs.
In Maths, we will be revisiting our previous learning on place value and number. We will be stretching ourselves to meet the new challenges of the Year 2 criteria of the curriculum, exploring these both practically and mentally.
Topics we will be covering:
- Science - Materials. Exploring the properties of materials as well as how these properties are fit for different purposes.
- Geography - Maps and our local area. We will be reading current maps as well as making our own maps.
- Computing - E-Safety. Learning the basics of computer use and keeping safe online.
- Art - Sculptures. Designing, making and resourcing our own sculptures using artist influence.
Things to remember:
- PE day is Monday. Please have a full kit in school as children will be working both inside and outside. Earrings must either be not worn or taken out by the child before the lesson on PE days.
- Homework will be set on Fridays and will be due in the following Friday. Prizes/rewards will be awarded to children who complete homework consistently.
- Please bring reading diaries in daily. We will check diaries frequently to see who needs certificates, book marks or free books so keep reading!
- Mrs Charlesworth reads with children on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons so please have your book ready these days if you wish to change it.
We are going to have a brilliant first term in India class, we are looking forward to learning lots and earning plenty of dojo points for good choices and achievements.
Miss Cooper and Mrs Granshaw.