Are you ready for Autumn Term 2?
Well done to everybody for the hard work in your first half term as Year 2's! We are very proud how you have transitioned and are managing the higher standard of work we are throwing at you!
We hope you are ready for a fun-packed seven and half weeks in the run up to Christmas!
This half term we will be looking at the book ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped a Planet’ by Dougie Poynter and Tom Fletcher. We will be using this text to inspire expanded noun-phrases, using commas in lists and asking questions. We will also be writing a recount of our trip to Winchester Science Museum and Tim Peakes arrival at the international space station. 3…2….1…. Lift off!
We are revisiting our learning about shape, and extending our knowledge to new objectives linked to symmetry. This feeds nicely into fractions where we will be revisiting halves and quarters as well as starting to explore thirds. Following this, we will be rethinking our previous skills on division and multiplication. There will also be continuous learning about time! So get practising!
This half term we will be learning about a famous nurse called Florence Nightingale and the era she lived in. We will be finding out how her views and strict rules has impacted on hospitals today and how important she was for the soldiers of the Crimean war.
We will be learning about animals including humans. In particular changing as we grow and the things we need to keep us healthy!
We will be doing some healthy recipe cooking and learning about food groups.
This half term our art will focus on linking to our space learning. We will be using chalks to design our own planets before getting messy and making them using papermache.
Of course we will be doing some festive art towards the end of the term ready for Christmas.
Our PE sessions this half term will be on Monday and Thursday. We are going to be continuing with gymnastics and focusing particularly on sequencing movements.
Please note PE day is now only Monday and Thursday. All children will need to have a labelled PE kit in school including trainers or plimsolls.
Please ensure your children has their reading book and diary every day.
Friday is the day when homework is set and due in a week later.
Tuesday 28th Nov – Trip to Winchester Science Centre
Thursday 4th Dec – Year 1 & 2 Nativity
Fundraising for Trip:
Friday 10th Nov- Film Night £2 a ticket
Friday 17th Nov – Fancy Dress Day £1
Wednesday 22nd Nov – Cake Sale (bring in cake donations!)
Welcome to Canada's Class Page.
We hope you had a fantastic Summer and enjoyed the sunshine. We are excited to be starting a brand new school year as Year 2's in our brand new classroom!
Year 2 is going to be exciting. We have a new behaviour chart where you can work your way up to silver and gold in order to earn a 'Golden Day' for exceptional work and amazing choices.
We also have our new class points system - Class Dojo. Keep earning the points, by showing the school values and making good choices, to earn the rewards! You can even show your parents your achievements at home!
We are beginning Autumn term by learning about Journey's.
In English we will be reading two new stories about Journey's, 'Journey' and 'Beegu'. We will be exploring different types of writing and learning some new writing strategies in the Year 2 curriculum as well as getting ourselves ready for SATs.
In Maths, we will be revisiting our previous learning on place value and number. We will be stretching ourselves to meet the new challenges of the Year 2 criteria of the curriculum, exploring these both practically and mentally.
Topics we will be covering:
- Science - Materials. Exploring the properties of materials as well as how these properties are fit for different purposes.
- Geography - Maps and our local area. We will be reading current maps as well as making our own maps.
- Computing - E-Safety. Learning the basics of computer use and keeping safe online.
- Art - Sculptures. Designing, making and resourcing our own sculptures using artist influence.
Things to remember:
- PE day is Monday. Please have a full kit in school as children will be working both inside and outside. Earrings must either be not worn or taken out by the child before the lesson on PE days.
- Homework will be set on Fridays and will be due in the following Friday. Prizes/rewards will be awarded to children who complete homework consistently.
- Please bring reading diaries in daily. We will check diaries frequently to see who needs certificates, book marks or free books so keep reading!
- Mrs Charlesworth reads with children on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons so please have your book ready these days if you wish to change it.
We hope to have a fab first half term in Year 2. There are lots of changes but we think it will be fantastic!
Mrs Biggs & Miss H